Wednesday, June 24, 2009

wednesday 24 june



Sarah wants me to post photos, so I'll try...P's comment when I brought out that "water" bottle was "not your typical bottle of water..."it's actually Bergerac Rouge and I filled it up from a barrel, I guess, at least from a hose that looks a lot like a gasoline hose and nozzle, except it's plastic. A place down the road that (I think) is associated with a vineyard around here, except they also sell stuff like Montbazillac (a sweet, white dessert wine from an area south of Bergerac about 10 miles from Couze, not unlike Sauterne, but a lot cheaper) and the usual "produits regionnaux", e.g., confit, foie gras, etc.

The problem is that this comment above is for the photo down on the bottom, and the photo here is Jeannette Dumas house, at least the back of it, with her garden, or the part that isn't up on top of the wall to the left.

Part of my problem is that this business of having actual more or less competent internet access at my house is a totally new concept, especially since I seem to be stuck with WinTel (bloody Bill Gates, to you, David Tall) equipment...so there. At home in Kentucky, our internet, when it works at all, is SLOW, what with being out in the boonies and depending on satellite service. So there. Again.
I hate Bergerac. It's ugly, dirty, I suspect most of it except for Vielle Bergerac is post-WWII. Spent all afternoon over there making reservations for our trip next week to Switzerland (Basel) for P to do something or other with a guy there (can't remember his name), and then to Marburg to visit Evelyn Korn, a mathematician/economist/biologist who visited us last winter, and who is just great to be around, and on to Tubingen to visit for a couple of days at Nico Michael's (not sure how you spell it, it's Flemish), and then back. Had a dreadful time at the SNCF station in Bergerac. The lady who was helping me couldn't speak ANY English, and she didn't slow down in French even when I asked her to, AND she couldn't access the Swiss and German timetables and reservation system on her computer. So we only managed two of the reservations we need. I bought Eurail passes, but you still have to have reservations on all these fast trains. Then I went to the FranceTelecom place and bought one of these mobile phones you can use without contracting for two years' service. The woman who helped me there couldn't speak any English, either, but she at least had a good attitude. I'm exhausted.

This is the photo that was upposed to be up on top.

Lillie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the photos! The view of the water bottle of wine (the noblest aspiration for any water bottle) and the bread and pate and beautiful weather make me even more jealous. But you've both earned the break (although i realize it's not a complete break). Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling so great, and that it's been keeping you from hitting up more markets in the morning hours. Keep the photos coming!

    By the way, do you have a skype profile? Aaron and I have skype set up, so we can talk that way (and videoconference if you have a camera) as soon as you have it set up...

    ReplyDelete