Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Occitan

I still don't know how to pronounce "Occitan". I THINK the guy on the airplane from Cincinnati to San Francisco (a Ph.D. in Linguistics, teaches linguistics at the Sorbonne part-time, and actually makes a living teaching French to English speakers in Paris (probably mostly Americans, but hey, I'M an American) , who grew up near Toulouse, told me it's pronounced "oksitan" (this is not the proper way to explain it, nor the phonetic way to write it, but I took a course in that, and hated it), but when I used this pronunciation the other day here, while talking to a couple of Brits, was told it was pronounced "okkitan" (again NOT the proper way to write this). so I basically don't have a clue.

HOWEVER, what he did tell me, that I am certain is correct, is that the names of all these places, like Bergerac, Issigeac, Beynac, Soirac, etc., that end in "ac", are ALL Occitan names, not French.

So there...

lillie...

2 comments:

  1. Actually, in Occitan it's pronounced "oo-tsee-TAH" (the double "o" like in food)

    dmitri (weirdo who's actually studying the language)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I had to look in all three of the French/English dictionaries we have over here to find it at all, and it says (I think...I hate that phonetic spelling) that it is as you say, but I think it said there's a "k" sound in there in between the oo and the tsee...ah, well, I will look again.

    ReplyDelete