Sunday, June 21, 2009

other villages

Since I basically missed the market in Lalinde last Thursday and I need some flowers to put in these planters I've got to tart the place up, I went to the Sunday market in Issigeac. It's clearly a lazy little town up on a hill (that seems to be the case: either a town is on a river or at the top of a hill, sometimes both) and it is seriously medieval. Half-timbered buildings. The streets are a maze. The Germans clearly dodged it in 1944. Actually it warrants a return trip to look around, not just to shop. I bought food and things, a couple of gifts, a new coin purse (the one I've been using for several years, also purchased at a market in France, no longer stays closed, which is a real problem over here where you have to carry around so many coins). Came back when I ran out of cash; I couldn't find an ATM anywhere in the place. The vendors there aren't the same ones that come to Lalinde. A lot of people--farmers, craftsmen, people hawking soaps, fishmongers, vintners--seem to just make the rounds of markets. I haven't inquired, but I doubt they have actual shops, although some of them do, like the couple at the market in Lalinde who sell artisanal country breads they make in Montpazier. She has business cards, and I started talking to her about it once.

I am losing the battle of the cobwebs.

We didn't go to the fete de musique last night. Phil was working on his online journal, and I was tired and so didn't put up a fuss.


2 comments:

  1. Let's see some pictures! The markets and medieval towns sound excellent, but i could use some visual aids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, okay, i'll work on it..

    ReplyDelete