Friday, June 19, 2009

Status of house in Couze, Perigord, Dordogne, France

So we've been here almost a week. Got here Monday afternoon (15th, I think) after three flights, Lexington, KY to Atlanta, ATL to Paris CDG, and CDG to Bordeaux. Brutal. Phil says I slept a couple of hours on the flight from ATL to CDG, but I'm not sure I actually did, although I tried. He didn't, even though I gave him a Benadryl pill; next time I'll give him two. He has RLS (if you don't watch the telly, it's restless leg syndrome, and while it's a bit of a bother when he's at home, it's a real problem when he's trying to sleep on an airplane), and I've tried to get him to get some meds for it to take when he travels, but without success.

The good news is that we arrived in Bordeaux essentially on time, unlike last year, when there were several disasters (don't ask, but they involved losing a wallet in Paris CDG, discovering that we had to go through security at CDG YET AGAIN after having bought a bottle of Duty Free Scotch in ATL (NEVER AGAIN), and having to figure out how to check it, on top of which the flight from ATL was late so we of course missed the flight to Bordeaux, couldn't phone the guy in Bordeaux who was bringing us the leased car, and really pissed him off...it was NOT a good experience!)...

Soooo, although I got overheated (getting old is the pits), and not much is AC over here, we did get to Bordeaux essentially on time, our luggage was indeed on the plane, the car lease guy was there, and there were no problems getting to Couze, which is not quite a two hour drive from the Bordeaux airport. It's near Lalinde, past Bergerac, overlooking the Dordogne River.

Despite a few problems (the water had been turned off because of a leak, but it's been turned back on, pending another serious visit from a plumber), annoyances because it has been vacant for a year, the range/cooker didn't work AT ALL, it was all in pretty good shape...

We arrived, I checked a few things out, went to the supermarket and bought some things like bread, cheese, ice, (don't ask--it's for me and my iced tea) , jam, butter, to tide us over until the next day. Also a coffee grinder (we brought beans over for Phil, and the house already had an electric kettle and press pot, but Phil can't find any already-ground coffee over here he likes for breakfast--I gave up and am bringing it over, so there!).

Went to bed (fortunately I had left with the bed changed, etc., and covered with an old linen sheet and plastic cover, so we could just fall in!). The next day (I guess that was last Tuesday), I basically refused to get out of bed until about 1:00 p.m., which these French people over here have the nerve to call 13:00 hours....jeez...

Later, Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment