Saturday, August 1, 2009

Larry McMurtry

I now know that I have more than I thought in common with Larry McMurtry. If the name doesn't ring a bell, he wrote "The Last Picture Show", "Lonesome Dove", "Terms of Endearment" (I hated that book, but the immediate world seemed to adore the movie), the screenplay for " Brokeback Mountain", which won him an Oscar, and a few other things. He's from West Texas, near Wichita Falls, went to Rice University, and was an English professor there when we were undergraduates. Cousin Bob Martin had him for Freshman English.

Turns out he didn't graduate from Rice; his undergraduate career got de-railed there by, are you ready for this?, Math 100. He left and got a B.A. from North Texas State University, came back and got an M.A. from Rice and was eventually a professor there for awhile.

My budding career as a mathematician got de-railed by, you guessed it, Math 100 at Rice University. I skulked off to get a VERY undistinguished B.A. in French Literature.

At least I have good company.

Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment